REMEMBER 2 SMILE

Saturday, August 20, 2011

10 Thoughts During My First 10-Mile Run

So I just completed my first 10-mile run ever, and needless to say I am ecstatic about reaching this personal running milestone.  During my time out on the pavement, numerous thoughts crossed my mind.  The 10 best are as follows:
 
1:  It's a beautiful day.  There's nothing better for a morning run than perfect weather.


2.  Light bulb!  I had a spectacular idea for a race day shirt:
  Remember to Smile

3.  I'm really digging my new Amphipod RunLite Hydration Belt.  It later will prove to be a life-saver on this run, and it forces me to stand a little more upright than I usually do.

4.  Mile 5: HALFWAY.  I love the midpoint of my runs, especially "out-and-back" ones.  It's all downhill from here.


5.  Mile 7: my feet hurt.  Both of my feet are a little sore at this point, but I always like to think back to a Nike ad I saw once that read:  There comes a time when you'd rather injure your body than injure your pride.  It's definitely not the smartest training motto, but it's a little nice motivation.

6.  This song:
"Country Roads" by: Pretty Lights

7.  Mile 8: Sir, meet the wall.
Ouch.

8.  I have the best friends in the world.  I realize that this has absolutely nothing to do with running at all, but I ran past a familiar place on my run today.  This place holds countless memories with the coolest people I know.  I'm glad I have them.

9.  Truth:

10.  As I turn down my street, legs feeling like Jell-O, I can't help but feel accomplished.  While I'm still nowhere near where I want to be for my eventual race goals, this is perfect for where I am now.  From struggling with 2 miles at the beginning of the summer to this, it's amazing where you can go with a little hard work and a positive mental attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment